Saturday, June 23, 2012

Bikram Hot Yoga


This morning was my third class of Bikram Hot Yoga in Tenleytown.   


Hot Yoga is exactly what you think.  It’s hot.  And you do yoga.  I know what you, dear reader, are thinking, “Why the heck would you do that???”
Well, I got a Groupon.  And I’m a sucker for a good Groupon.
But what is Bikram Hot Yoga really like?  
  • You go through a series of positions.  Each class goes through the same set of 26 positions.
  • The room is PACKED.  They are probably 25 - 30 crazies in one sauna doing yoga.  Yes, people en masse go voluntarily.
  • Many of them don’t wear a lot of clothes.  The men are shirtless and the women wear a sports bra and booty shorts.  I, of course, we wear a tshirt and shorts that go to my knee.  
  • The instructor does not participate.  She only instructs.  It’s strange.  
  • The class is 90 minutes.  That’s a LONG time to stretch in a sauna.
  • You will sweat a lot.  Seriously, it’s more than you expect.  And it’s different than any other kind of sweating too.  The sweat pools on your skin and then it slowly drips down your skin.  There isn’t a lot of time to wipe the sweat off because you are trying not to fall from your twisted position.  It’s really gross and annoying.  Let’s just be honest, it’s a self-induced form of Chinese Water Torture.
  • You can’t drink water for the first 25 minutes.  I think they do this to torture you more.  
  • No one notices if you don’t do well...or, if you are like me, and have to kneel down and put your head between your knees to prevent passing out and making a fool of yourself.  I think everyone is trying to not pass out so they don’t notice if you don’t nail a position. 
  • It’s ok if you fall over.  Yes, usually your reflexes are quick enough so you don’t smack your face on your yoga mat, but there are a lot of people who lose their balance and have to start all over.  
  • The real benefit, as far as I can tell, is the next day.  You feel so good.  You stand taller, and you are impressed that you didn’t have to go to the ER.  
If you find a hot yoga studio near you, I highly recommend it.  Yes, its kind of expensive, but it’s amazing to know that you can survive, even if you have to stop and regain breath control.  
Have you ever done hot yoga??  Do you think I’m crazy?  

No comments:

Post a Comment