Monday, March 5, 2012

An Investigation into Jefferson



As I mentioned a few posts ago, I’m reading a wonderful book about the slave family, the Hemings, who lived for 5 generations at Monticello.  I had the opportunity to visit Jefferson’s home this past weekend and I had a wonderful experience.  The weather was perfect, and my amazing boyfriend accompanied me throughout his huge plantation.


To be honest, my American history knowledge is quite lacking.  I didn’t learn too much about this great country in my public school system, so, as an adult, I try to read all I can so that I don’t look like a total idiot when someone mentions a significant historical milestone that I know nothing about.  
For example, my family visited the Alamo when I was about 13 or so, and I didn’t want to take the tour.   It was hot and I had never heard of the Alamo.  (Yes, I’m serious.)  My mother told me, “Oh don’t worry, you’ll learn about it in school.”  Begrudgingly, I made the trip to the huge doors of the Alamo, and they were closed!  (WHEW!)  So, I asked my mom about it and she gave me a quick, one sentence response detailing her knowledge of this landmark in Texas.  I gave her a weird look and she reiterated that I’ll learn everything I need to know about the Alamo, and we went on our merry way.  I get to high school and take history all four year.   NEVER ONCE DID WE TALK ABOUT THE ALAMO!!!  And, it took me ten dang years to get my bachelors degree.  Do you think in any of that time I learned about the Alamo?  No, dear reader, no.  To this day, I refuse to learn about the Alamo because “I’m supposed to learn about it in school.”  
Usually though, I read.  I watch documentaries.  I try to absorb what I can about history that didn’t quite make it into my stubborn brain as a child.  
I’m actually quite fascinated by TJ.  I don’t know too much about him, but reading this book and visiting his home has taught me a lot.  Also, my dear friend Lauren doesn’t like him too much so I’m trying to find out as much as I can to either argue with her or to complain about him even more. 
This is what I have learned:
  • TJ was a family man.  He felt terribly about leaving his family for work, especially after his wife died.  He tried to give his children and his wife’s family the best he could, regardless of their race.
  • He was personally conflicted on many fronts, but most notably, slavery and public service.  He wrote that each person deserves “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” while being a slave-owner.  He also didn’t feel like public service was honor, but more of a terrible obligation.  
  • He was SMART.  Visiting his home and looking at his enormous library made me realize that this man was more than a cunning politician or a simple farmer.  He was willing to experiment with gadgets and agriculture.  He kept detailed records of everything: money, outdoor temperature, property, etc.  
  • He knew his accomplishments.  He wrote his own epitaph listing the three milestones he was most proud of: authoring the Declaration of Independence, authoring the Statute of Virginia for Religious Freedoms, and founding UVA.  (Needless to say, my accomplishments are not nearly as amazing!)

I’m only 200 pages into the book.  His wife has just died and he has moved to Paris to serve as Minister to France.  His daughter, Polly, and Sally Hemings have just arrived.   I still have a lot to learn.  As far as I can tell, for a man of his time, he had quite liberal views on slavery and his treatment of those working on his plantation were quite different than other slave/master relationships.  He seems to feel guilty about being away from his family, but doesn’t know how to solve this problem.  The author hasn’t detailed his express guilt for being a slave-owner, but I think it’s clear from his treatment of slaves that he was not the norm of his time.  Slavery is the biggest contradiction of his life – a subject he knew well, but felt guilt about.  I can’t imagine living a life with such a huge weight on my shoulders.  
Sorry, Lauren.  I think I like TJ.  I admire his intelligence and his willingness to take risks in his life and in the lives of those around him.  I have a lot more to learn – it’s not as if I think reading one book and visiting his home once makes me an expert, but I know a lot more than what I did 6 weeks ago.  One thing is for sure though, I know way more about Jefferson and the Hemings than I do about the Alamo.  

1 comment:

  1. So as a homeschooler, I got a great education but sometimes I come across things that "I should have learned in high school." Makes me feel better knowing even you public school kids missed out on some of those things too.

    ReplyDelete