Thursday, June 14, 2012

Electronic Entertainment vs. Simplicity


Can you imagine a day without electronics?  
No checking the weather.  
No news.  
No status updates.
No taking pictures.
You will have to wear a watch.
It is my goal to have an electronic free day.  When I bring it up to the boy, he gives me the look of death.  He cannot fathom going a day without electronics.  What if someone tries to call?  What if Barack gets assassinated?  What if a piece of junk mail goes into my inbox?  What if a sports team scores some type of goal?  How will we ever know if these things happen?
My apartment is 700 square feet.  It’s small.  Really small.  But, dear reader, my little box is surrounded by electronics:
iPod - we have two
iPad - we have two
iPhone - we have two (well....actually we have three....a backup iPhone 3S just in case something happens to our iPhone 4S)
Macbook - we have two
TV - we have two (although one is not hooked up)
Playstation
Camera - we have two
Sometimes, I feel like I can’t get away from technology.  It’s a little annoying.  It’s a little overwhelming to have so many choices.  
Sometimes I crave simplicity.
Can you imagine????  
Simplicity!   (AH!)
No waiving your arm in a figure 8 - LIKE AN IDIOT - looking for a signal.  (Don’t act like you haven’t done it!!!)
No flipping through channels looking for a mindless show to watch.
No swapping devices to charge all of these devices with the same charger.
No checking your phone every 30 seconds.
I imagine a quieter day.  I imagine a more creative day.  I imagine, either, a cleaner apartment or spending more time outside.  Or, I’d sleep more.  Yes, maybe I’d sleep more.
I don’t know if this will ever happen, but it’s something I think about all the time.  But, in reality, I’m not sure that I can get away from electronics.  It may be a completely impractical goal.  Regardless, one day, I’ll try.  And, I’ll be sure to encourage the boy to give up the electronic dependence, a causality of our society.  I just wonder how long I’ll continue to receive the look of death.
How would you spend an electronic free day?  
Would you be lost?  
Would you be willing to try?  
Is a day without electronics realistic?
FEEDBACK PLEASE!
P.S.  I lied to you, dear reader.  We also have an extra flip phone too....you know...just in case our iPhone 4S dies and our backup iPhone 3S dies.  

6 comments:

  1. haha actually, I want MORE technology. Maybe I will start researching how to embed my smartphone into my brain, and then I can have cool contact lenses that display video chat or a web browser and I can click by blinking? Ooh ooh and it could be powered calories; to charge your brain-phone you must eat a chocolate bar hourly. :)

    But until then....I agree with needing to get outside more. I should get one of those sun-resistant laptop screens so I can work outside....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are hilarious! MORE technology gives me a little bit of anxiety. I thought Google created computer glasses....you should look into that. I think your idea of embedding your smartphone into your brain would be an excellent PhD project for you to work on.

      We need to find more activities that gets us outside. That will be MY research project.

      Delete
  2. Actually, on my birthday, our phone, internet, and television got shut off because the electronic bill didn't go through. It was stressful- mostly because I didn't get any calls or texts wishing me happy birthday & it made me sad. But in a way, I found myself sitting and staring into space for a while. I took a nice nap, then went to visit my grandpa (where I could use his internet). A part of me kinda liked not being a virtual slave to technology, but I wish it would have been a less important day to me (aka not my birthday). But I totally agree! It is odd, and a little scary. But we can be much more productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you didn't get attention on your birthday.

      Are you saying that you liked the break from technology? Or, did your disconnection make you feel like something was missing? Would you have had the same reaction to no phone, cable, and internet had it not been your birthday?

      Delete