Thursday, June 7, 2012

Comfort Zones vs. Uncomfortable Discoveries


If you’ve read any part of my blog, you know that I love finding new activities in which to partake.  I love doing something that is completely new, something I’ve ever done (i.e. knitting or Farsi classes).  I honestly enjoy getting out into the world and exploring places, ideas, and people that are different than anything I’ve ever know.  Sometimes I have good experiences, and sometimes I don’t, but regardless, everything is an experience to grow from.
Getting outside of one’s comfort zone is difficult.  VERY DIFFICULT!  No one likes to feel uncomfortable or like they don’t belong.  No one wants to walk down a street and feel unsafe.  People, in general, are content to stay in their little bubble.  We go to work, come home, eat dinner, and waste a couple hours before we head to bed.  (I’m sure this is somewhat different if you have children, but for the most part I bet it’s mostly the same.)  
This is what we call normal.  “Normal” is going to work and straight coming home.  “Normal” is taking little Timmy to soccer on Saturday mornings.  “Normal” is watching mindless TV to pass the time before it’s jam-jam time.  (Sadly, “normal” is talking about mindless television at work the next day.)  For the most part, this is my normal too.  This is how I grew up.  This is what, I think, most people want to achieve.  (If “normal” is an accomplishment.....but that is another blog post.)
I like normal.  Normal feels stable to me - I know exactly what to expect.  And, as the avid planner I am, I would know exactly what dinner will taste like.  Yes, this is nice....to a point.  
But for me, I get so bored.  I honestly enjoy uncovering a new culture or treasure.  I think that getting outside of my 700 sq. ft apartment is the best thing I can do.  Not only do I learn about a world I probably would have never known existed, but I learn something about myself.  
What do YOU think?  Is finding a normal comfort zone better than endlessly exploring something else?  Can there be a happy balance?  What is “normal” to you?  Is “normal” an accomplishment?

2 comments:

  1. Although going outside my comfort zone can be scary, it has also been where I have found the most happiness. It has taken to places I would have never been before & been the start of many great friendships. Yes, it does take some pushing, but the outcome can sometimes amaze you.

    Embarrassingly, my normal is coming home, walking my dog, eating, and tv before sleep. But it scares me that this may become my 'normal' life. It can be considered an accomplishment in a sense because I am 'comfortable' in what I've done so far that allows me to relax, but I'd much rather be mentally stimulated and excited about new opportunities and possibilities.

    This was a great post Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comfort zone and uncomfortableness is a great conflict in life. I think a lot of people have these feelings, but for some reason, no one like to talk about it. I think people may not want to admit that they have a comfort zone OR that their comfort zone is....boring. Yes, I said it. BORING. No offense, but coming home and watching TV is boring. Trust me, I know. This is exactly why I do everything possible to NOT come home after work. I make all kinds of plans and throw myself into all kinds of activities to avoid coming home. Once I come home, its over. I sit down and the TV comes on. I am not productive. I am not contributing to the world. I am not furthering myself. It's depressing actually.

    But sometimes, there is something nice about coming home - something nice about the stillness. I like watching the news, but honestly, I end up watching something stupid, like Teen Mom or the Kardashians.

    I suppose there is no answer. No one is right. No one is wrong. I guess we all have to decide how we spend our time. It's a conflicting thought, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who has arguments within my own mind. :)

    ReplyDelete