Monday, April 16, 2012

Bible-banging Homophobes Need Not Apply


WARNING: This post is NOT for you if you are a “bible-banging homophobe.”  Seriously, move on.
No really, read this article.
What I have to say won’t make sense if you don’t read the article.
Now I don’t really talk about religion too much.  Partly because I don’t want to argue; partly because I don’t have anything to say; and partly because religion isn’t a big part of my life and therefore isn’t a big part of my conversations.
Regardless of your religious beliefs, we all know someone who is homophobic and blames it on their religion.  I cannot stand these people.  I don’t care what anyone believes.  I do not care for people who discriminate - regardless of their reasoning.  In fact, if you discriminate, you are probably not a part of my life.
I honestly don’t have much to say though.  I think the article says enough.  
I just wonder how much I can all learn from those saying, “I’m sorry.”  I wonder how much more I can love and respect people who aren’t the same as me.  (I mean, let’s be honest, NO ONE is the same as me!)  And I wonder if my treatment towards another person impacts them to their core.  I’m sure that at various points, my words and/or actions have stuck with the people I encounter.  This article is just a friendly reminder to myself that I need to watch my actions, my words, and always make sure my character is on the forefront of my behavior.  

Thank you, Ms. Ezra for this article.  

1 comment:

  1. No problem! I've been struggling intellectually lately with the relation of the church (being the un-official collection of believers) to the LGBT community. I also really enjoyed this blog post that addresses how to love someone even if you disagree with their beliefs: http://mikekelsey.blogspot.com/2012/04/confessions-of-gay-christian-some.html

    ReplyDelete