Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Surviving the Quarter Life Crisis


I’m just trying to survive my Quarter Life Crisis.  

I have 8 months before I hit 30, and I’m pretty sure I was supposed to have it all together by now.  But let’s be honest, I have no idea what I’m doing.  I am basically a 12-year-old child trapped in this 29-year-old, cubicle-working, no passion, no direction life.  

In reality, I’m just trying to figure it all out.  
Where do I want to live?
Where do I want to work?
Am I really a repressed minimalist living among too much stuff?
What is my passion?  (Uh...is “passion” really a thing??)
Why can’t I stop biting my nails?
How do I define success?  And how am I working towards this?
So, in true form, I decided I need a plan.  Without a plan, I don’t act.  I think and stew and wallow.  Having a plan is much better.

This is my plan to persevere through my Quarter Life Crisis:

1.  Define my goals.
Without a clear set of goals, you have no idea what you are working towards.  You’ll just roam through life without a clear sense of direction.  You don’t have to be on the right path, but you should have an idea of where you are are going.  
Someone once had me make a life plan.  This was a daunting task, but it did open my eyes to begin mapping out how I want my future to look.

2.  Save money.
No one likes feeling poor.  No one likes feeling like they can’t pay their bills or that they can’t do the things they want.  You probably aren’t going to have your dream job at this point - let’s not even talk about our dream salary - but there is always room to save money.  
And I highly suggest watching Suze!

3.  Do something creative.
Take an art class.  Rearrange your living room.  Only buy things that are pretty AND functional.  Buy snappy shoes.  Get a haircut.  Get hot pink hair extensions.  
Doing something creative will only open your eyes to the beauty in the world.  Only then will you see the beauty in yourself and the beauty in the things that may have once appeared ugly and terrible.  

4.  Get outside.
Some people like running.  I might not be one of those people, but I highly suggest you going out for a run.  Or a brisk walk.  Or a slow walk.  
I have recently discovered joy and peace in hiking.  Maybe there is some new activity in which you could partake....who knows....maybe you’ll discover a new love.  

5.  DO SOMETHING!!!!
Write down your plan; then, put it into action.  Take a class at the community college or enroll in grad school.  Start a journal.  Use a planner.  Go to a MeetUp event.  Get outside of your comfort zone.  Take a different route to work tomorrow.  


Taking a baby step is better than stagnation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment