Monday, October 29, 2012

My Month of Writing Dangerously

November marks the beginning of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).  

For each of the 30 days, I'll attempt to write 1,667 words per day which will result in a 50,000 word novel.  I'll try to make these words cohesive and remain on topic - the "plot," if you will.  I'll attempt to actually use my time wisely and write daily.  (That last part is what I'm most concerned about!)

According to the NaNoWriMo rules, you are allowed to outline your story before you begin writing on November 1.  I have spent hours developing my characters and my plot line.  I have consulted with numerous friends and family (well, my sister) about creating something that the average reader (me) would want to read.  

This is no easy task, dear reader.  In fact, this may be the most creatively difficult adventure I've attempted.  I can go on a hike.  Easy-peasey.  I can take my grandmother across the pond.  No probs.  But to sit down and write a novel is something completely different and completely out of my comfort zone.

Let me be clear: this is NOT the great American novel.  I'm not John Steinbeck or Mark Twain.  I strive to have the humor of Jen Lancaster or the will of Cheryl Strayed.  But in reality, I'm just a mere closet-writer.   That plot line I've spent hours developing isn't exactly....developed.  (Geez....I'm working on it, ok!)  

What do I need from you, dear reader?  SUPPORT.  This support can come in the form of an encouraging text message, or spunky care package filled with M&Ms, Kit-Kats, and Dr. Pepper.  Support could be in the form of a creative suggestion if my poorly planned plot line fails miserably.  

Wish me luck - I'm off to finish outlining before the big month begins!!!  Only 2 days, 9 hours left....but who's counting!!!





4 comments:

  1. Good luck! You're so brave - creative writing scares me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ma'am. This process is scary, I'm not going to lie. I'm just going to take it one day at a time and see where it gets me. Can you imagine having 50,000 words by November 30???

      I'd love it if you joined in with me! Think about it??

      Delete
  2. That's really exciting; good luck!! One of my labmates did that last year and had a great time with it! If you want to self-publish/print when you're done, let me know and I can hook you up with the same deal my labmate used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might take you up on that! At this point, I'm just hoping to make it all the way through. We can talk about self-publishing on December 1. :)

      Delete